As part of its efforts to stop stigma throughout Sacramento County, Stop Stigma Sacramento is organizing mental health art exhibits to honor Mental Health Awareness Month this May. We are looking for individuals who are living with mental illness, or who support others that may be living with mental illness, to submit artwork which would be exhibited at several locations in Sacramento and/or on www.StopStigmaSacramento.org. All art displayed will help to dispel myths and stereotypes about mental illness and promote messages of wellness, hope and recovery.
If you or someone close to you is living with mental illness, we hope that you’ll take this opportunity to express your experience visually or digitally with others.
Art Submission Guidelines:
- The artist of the piece must be a Sacramento County resident
- One piece per artist may be submitted
- The project will accept the following forms of art for our May 2023 displays:
- Physical Artwork:
- Physical paintings/drawings the piece must be wall-mountable artwork that is ready to hang (attached cable or hook) not exceeding 24” x 36”
- If entrants are interested in selling their artwork during the exhibit, they must include their contact information on the back of the piece so buyers can contact them directly.
- Digital Artwork:
- For digital art (i.e., film, song, spoken word, etc.) the piece should not exceed 4 minutes in length, and the artist will need to upload the content to YouTube or Vimeo and email a link and/or the original file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All entries must be submitted by Thursday, April 20, 2023, at 4 p.m., along with this completed form. Physical entries must be dropped off at
- Sacramento County Department of Health Services (7001-A East Parkway, Lobby, Sacramento, CA 95823)
Drop-off hours are:
- Tuesdays (March 28-April 18), 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Thursdays (March 30-April 20), 1-4 p.m.
- PLEASE NOTE: Members of the team will be present to collect art during these hours only. If you have transportation limits or are unable to get to the County office during the times/dates listed, please email the team at email@example.com.
- If your art piece doesn’t fit the parameters, but you are still interested in submitting, please email us an image and description of the piece at firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
- All artwork is subject to review and may or may not be put on display or published to our website. Submissions using discriminatory, derogatory language or inappropriate materials will not be displayed or published on our website.
- Art submission deadline for physical and digital artwork: Thursday, April 20, 2023, at 5 p. m.
- Artists notified of the date and location of their display: Thursday, April 27, 2023
- Art available for pickup starting: Thursday, June 15 – Thursday, June 29, 2023
- Note: Any artwork not picked up by June 30 will be donated or given away to the community in alignment with the project’s overall goals and mission.
- Signing Up
- To participate, please fill out the submission form and the liability release form.
- Printable Flyer
- If you are interested in spreading the word on your own social media channels or would like to print some out, please download our printable flyer found here